#ThatBlackCouple Ep 11 – Commodifying Black Pain
In this episode, Jenn and Daren discuss Omarosa, Wendy Williams, ‘This is Us’, and how to imagine Black Liberation in a world that sells Black Pain for profit. Get into it!
In the first segment, Jenn and Daren talk about the ways that mainstream media operates to exacerbate and benefit from the public performance of Black pain.
In the second segment, they discuss what Black Liberation really looks like given this type of system.
In the third segment, Jenn and Daren discuss their experiences with internalized anti-Blackness, whether it be from them or others, and how to manage.
Articles for reference:
* Omarosa, Bethenny, and White Women Being ‘Mediocre’
* It’s time to talk about the Black elitism and anti-Blackness portrayed on ‘This is Us’
* Anxiety, Death and The Moments When ‘This Is Us’ Gets It Completely Right
* It’s time to stop trying to integrate ‘SNL’
* What does prison abolition mean to the mother whose son has been decapitated?
* Wendy Williams explains why she fainted on-air